Monday, October 6, 2014

It's just a shadow

A couple months ago I did a series study on Psalm 23 with our young adults group. I enjoyed studying in depth this chapter and sharing it with the youth because there is so much truth revealed in these short six verses. By far, this has been one of my favorite studies yet. Over that time period, I would write a few things here and there on Facebook and Twitter that would spark some interest from people; I even shared my notes with a few. Today, I would like to share some insight on one of the verses that captivated me the most, verse 4. Just as it has blessed me and a few others, I hope it blesses you too.


"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death".

Notice that the words 'yea, though' (in the NKJV) and 'even though' (in the NIV) mean the same thing.
The verse continues to say, 'I walk through the valley of the shadow of death'. Did you see the assurance right at the beginning of the verse? It says 'even though'. No matter what I may be facing, I still have peace. I mean, you really need to be confident and brave if you’re going to walk through a valley of death. You have a 50/50 chance of survival, you’re either going to come out dead or alive, it is a valley of death, right? Wrong, that’s not what the text says!

Most people think the verse reads 'walk through the valley of death'. No, it says 'walk through the valley of the SHADOW of death.' Let me ask you this, has a shadow ever harmed you or someone you know? No, right? Yea, it may seem scary, even a four foot person’s shadow may seem like a seven footer but that’s just the perception, not the reality. So many people are scared of what they perceive than what they really see.  If only we could understand what God is trying to tell us in this text, we could cast out so many unnecessary fears that try to enable us. Look at the verse again. We are walking THROUGH this valley! We are not stuck in the valley, we are not going to live in the valley, we are not staying in the valley forever; we are WALKING THROUGH, it is temporary. You are not meant to stay there, you are meant to move forward. It’s just a shadow, keep on walking!

The dark valley in which you may be walking through may seem so scary and you may even think that you’re not going to make it through, but remember it’s just a walk-through. You will make it! You will get out of that dark scary valley with God by your side. He will not allow any harm to come your way.  The valley is not intended to kill you; it’s intended to build you --Stronger!

“I will fear no evil; For You are with me;”

David, the psalmist continues to say this: I will fear no evil, why? Because You are with me. Our safe haven is God, when He is by our side, the world can come tumbling down, but you and I can firmly say, I will fear NO evil because He is with me. He is our Shepard, He is our protector. It’s interesting to note that God takes time to remind us 365 times in the bible to 'Fear not.' He tells us every single day: FEAR NOT!

I will fear no evil ‘for you are with me.' David’s peace was solely found in God that is why he could walk confidently THROUGH the valley of the shadows. He walked through the darkest valley of his life, a valley full of fears and insecurities with many shadows. Though there were moments where he thought he wasn’t going to make it because death was so close, God’s unfailing presence was with him.

The many shadows in life will try to scare you away from God’s presence, but hold on tight to His promises, He will never leave nor forsake you. He is closer than you think. Let me tell you this, God’s presence is more powerful than any shadow that may try to instill fear in you. Believe that!

So, if you find yourself walking through the valley of the shadow of death, just remember that it’s just a walk through and there is no need to fear death, because it’s just a shadow.

 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Be Encouraged, Be Blessed!
Landy Perez-Feliciano

No comments: